Daily we’re bombarded in the media with disturbing headlines…
- Gradually, the freedoms of our nation are being chiseled away in the name of security.
- Our unemployment rate is at an all-time high, while the value of our dollar is at an all-time low.
- Consumer confidence is at an all-time low, while prices for things are at an all-time high.
- The divorce rate is at an all-time high.
- The murders, shootings, and stabbings, litter the front page of every morning paper.
- Abortion continues to be legal.
- Political corruption is rampant in our government officials.
- The Muslims have declared war on the western world
- The US has declared war on terrorist countries
- Iran wants to bomb Israel off the map
- There’s genocide being committed in the Dar Fur region
- Every day we hear about famines and droughts taking lives
- Natural disasters, rather than bringing out the best in people, have brought out the worst, with looting, pillaging, price gouging, and hidden political agendas.
- Every day another drug deal goes bad
- Every day another child dies in a drive-by shooting
- Every day another school or place of business gets shot-up
- Every day another terrorist threat is discovered
- The children and the elderly in our country continue to get the short end of the stick
- Justice seems to favor the criminal
- Our prisons are over-crowded
- People are losing their homes
- Banks are going out of business
Yet, everyday people get up and do their dead-level best to keep their chin up. The odds never seem to be in their favor. What on earth (or in Heaven) could ever breath hope back into people’s lives? What if anything could remedy the pain of feeling of being violated?
The Apostle Paul wrote, “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.” I Co. 15:19.
- This world doesn’t need a powerful political figure…
- This world doesn’t need a powerful political system…
- This world doesn’t need more money, more programs, or more tax breaks…
- This world doesn’t need more change, just for the sake of change, what this world needs is HOPE!
Peter said in his first epistle (3:15) – “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:”
The answer is hope! Let’s point people to the real hope that spans beyond this world – it’s the hope that drew Christ to the Cross at Calvary…YOU!
As long as there are “YOU’s” in this world, there is hope…
- People whose lives have been forever changed
- People who have been given a reason to carry on
- People who have drank from the freely from the well and now have living water flowing from their own souls
- People who have everlasting joy and peace
- People who have hope
While hope is one of the greatest of all commodities on the planet it’s futile if it’s not shared with others. People everywhere are waiting, knowingly or unknowingly, to hear a message of hope.
If you’re born again of the water and of the Spirit, you contain the hope that humanity needs in earthen vessels. Let’s not withhold this hope from mankind.
Jesus read a passage in Isaiah 61:1-3, “The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; 2To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; 3To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.”
Jesus was the fulfillment of this Old Testament prophecy, but today, the Spirit of the Lord is not just “upon” us…He’s in us; reaching out to a lost and hurting world through us! It’s up to us to complete the mission Jesus started, until the day of His return!