Mangold’s Grove – Where the Mangolds Come From

Mangold’s Grove – located on HWY 412 between Bakerville and Hayti.  This settlement was originally called Skinner’s Place for J.A. and Leonard Skinner who owned it.  There was a large building there which housed a grocery store and a night club.  In the 1930s , several killings took place there, and according to many accounts, it was known as one of the roughest places in the county. In 1937, Clarence Edward Mangold moved his wife and three children – Lois, Earvie and Betty – there from Kennett, originally coming from Mayfield, Kentucky, and bought the grocery store from the Skinners.  The settlement then became known as Mangolds Grove for the large grove of trees that grew south of the store. The Fourth of July celebrations there became widely known, and gypsies would pitch their tents there and large jamborees would take place.  The daughter of Clarence Mangold, Betty Mangold Taylor, lived at Mangolds Grove all her life and taught at Deering school system for many years, first as a counselor, then as a third grade teacher. 

As posted on

Mangolds Grove.jpg

Mangold’s Grove